This was the Canadian premiere production of Haruki Murakami’s after the quake.
after the quake takes its audience on a journey where magic and realism collide, in an exploration of disrupted reality. after the quake is based on two short stories by acclaimed Japanese novelist and short story writer, Haruki Murakami. after the quake was adapted by Tony Award winner Frank Galati.
The show was picked up for a second run at the Cultch in Vancouver the following season.
Photos by Ken Bryant (click an image for full size)
Wildly original and warm without ever lapsing into sentimentality, after the quake is both a great ride and a testament to the healing powers of imagination…It’s the stuff of dreams.
—Kathleen Oliver, Georgia Straight
I’ve never seen anything like it. And I loved every minute of it…Playful. That’s what after the quake is. And charming. A feast for the eyes and ears. Mischievous. Tender. Heart-stoppingly romantic as the curtain falls on Junpei keeping watch over Sayoko and Sala.
— Jo Ledingham, Vancouver Courier
after the quake is an absolute delight…deservedly the hit of the late fall season.
—Jerry Wasserman, Vancouver Plays
after the quake is a stunning piece of theatre. It is rare to experience a show where all these elements integrate so well and are so delicious to watch…A delicate feast for the senses…exquisite…Subtle, tender, and beautiful. I loved it, go see it.
—Rachel Scott, Plank Magazine
after the quake bursts the clouds and reminds me exactly why I love theatre so deeply. This is a perfectly balanced play. You should see after the quake.
—Simon Ogden, The Next Stage
Artistic and Production Personnel
- Directed by Richard Wolfe and Craig Hall
- Sayoko/Nurse: Manami Hara
- Narrator/Frog: Alessandro Juliani (Battlestar Galactica’s Gaeta)
- Takatsuki/Katagiri: Kevan Ohtsji
- Junpei: Tetsuro Shigematsu
- Sala: Leina Dueck
- Set Design by Yvan Morissette
- Lighting Design by Itai Erdal
- Costume Design by Sheila White
- Sound Design by Yota Kobayashi
- Stage Management by David (DK) Kerr
- Production Management by James Foy
- Publicity by Bridge Communications
- Illustration by Edward Kwong
- Photography by Ken Bryant
- Community Liaison: Cindy Mochizuki
- Pi General Manager: Emma Luna Davis